Love is in the air!

Winter is a time of blustery winds, warm blankets, and book friends to fill your heart.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Happy New Year

The New Year is upon us and many people are making their New Year Resolutions. Are you one of them?

What is it you would like to change about yourself or you hope to do better in the New Year?

You say you'd like to lose weight. That is something you have some control over. It requires you to stop eating the stuff you really love, (ice cream, candy, bread products) and exercise.

I have made it my mission to help you with the exercise part. (I had thought about helping with getting rid of the ice cream and candy, too, but then I thought of the mess my postal carrier would have to deliver. Ooey gooey ice cream! Moldy bread! CANDY!!!) I digress.  

Exercise is an important part of living. When we were young we ran down the streets, we biked to our friends, we danced in basements to the latest beats. We had fun and we were fit. Then we learned to drive cars and worked at jobs that kept us stationary. It is time to get out the hula hoop and jump rope (if your bladder can handle it). If you don't currently walk, get out everyday and walk. Start with a short walk. If around the block is too far to begin with, walk to the corner and back again. Do not park in the spaces too close to the store. Park further away and walk to the doors. This will improve your health in more ways than one. You will be walking and getting some of that exercise component in and you will also be saving your blood pressure from having to deal with the others that are trying to get all the "prime" spaces.

My favorite way to lose exercise is to get up and dance. You may not want to go out clubbing every weekend, but you can dance everyday. Even at work. If you have a device which will play music, such as a smart phone of some type or ipod (sorry, I'm not up on the latest and greatest technology) you can program songs in through Pandora or record music to take with you.

You should get off your duff at least once an hour and dance. If you are at work and the work space is not conducive or dance friendly, you may have to use the break room or even the rest rooms. Get up, turn on your music and dance. You don't need to know any special steps, just move your feet, shake your booty, and wave your arms around in the air. And don't forget to jump! You don't have to be graceful or make it look pretty. You're not about to get a spot on "So You Think You Can Dance" or "Dancing With the Stars" just have fun with it. (You may want to also carry your deodorant in case you need a touch up before going back to your station.)   

Taking special dance classes may be fun, but a Zumba class or step aerobics will not get your blood flowing on an hourly basis. (When you have good blood flow to your brain, your brain will work better and you will be a better employee.)

Below I have compiled a brief list of some of my favorite dance tunes. It is a good place to start if you are wondering what music is best for you. I am always looking for more dance music, please leave me your favorites in the comment section. Also feel free to FB.


Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up to Boston
Bob Segar - Old Time Rock and Roll
Dan Seals - I Want to Bop With You Baby
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Down at the Twist and Shout
Chubby Checker - Let's Do the Twist
Freddie & the Dreamers - Do the Freddie
The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
The Ventures - Wipe Out
Billy Joel - Still Rock and Roll to Me
John Cougar - Hurts So Good
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Bad Reputation
Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Jerry Lee Lewis - Peggy Sue
Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot of Shaking Going On
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire
Jerry Lee Lewis - Wild One
Trace Adkins - Hot Mama
Trace Adkins - Honky Tonk Badonkadonk
Jo Dee Messina - I'm Alright
Pam Tillis - Queen of Denial
Dolly Parton - Romeo
Brooks & Dunn - Boot Scootin' Boogie
Alabama - Dixieland Delight
Dropkick Murphys - Anything by Them!!!

In the course of writing this I had hoped to be a lazy bum and not practice what I am preaching, however, I have instead decided to make this a challenge. I am not divulging my weight, but I will keep you updated on anything that drops off. I hope you will do the same.

Even if you are at your ideal weight, I am issuing the dance challenge. It will be fun to dance and get your blood flowing.

Now, please excuse me, I hear the Dropkick Murphys and Tessie calling to me.



10 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about my New Years resolution earlier today; and yes, my biggest goal is to lose weight, especially to move more - my asthma is virtually out of control, and I am going to start to dance right in my living room. I usually turn on VH1 and dance to the 80s tunes....maybe we can compare notes~ and Happy new Year, my friend! Thanks for the helpful hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can be a support group to each other. ;~}}

      Delete
  2. I am setting New Year's writing goals for myself this year. My goal to complete 3 full manuscripts by this time next year. Of course I woulnd't mind losing a few pounds either. Gained a few last year although I am not sure how. I do exercise regularly. body must just be changing as I get older.

    love the song choices.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your goal, Chris. I hope you will keep us informed on your progress. Then we can all celebrate with each manuscript you complete!!!

      Delete
    2. As my jeans grow tighter and my "booty" grows wider, I've promised myself to get on that treadmill in the basement and shake the weight. I will say...I've begun a better eating regiment. The cookies and snacks have been tossed aside, fruit has taken their place along with raw veggies. I like crunch, so that works for me. Now...if I can stay on target, I'll be okay. If not...well...I'll need a kick in the booty!

      Delete
    3. Jeanne, you have amazing self-discipline. I don't think you will need the kick, but my foot is ready if you do. ;~}}}}}

      Delete
  3. I love to dance, even if I'm by myself. Sometimes blaring music and dancing alone in the house releases so much tension. I hope you have a wonderful 2013, and I can't wait to continue with our friendship. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the Hot Dog at the end of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with the little guys, but now they tell me to sit down. ;~{{

      Friendship is a wonderful thing and I can't wait to watch ours blossom.

      Delete
  4. Hey you guys! Let me join, please! This is a great idea! And I hope your asthma improves quickly, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, it wouldn't be any fun without you. ;~}}

      Delete