Love is in the air!

Winter is a time of blustery winds, warm blankets, and book friends to fill your heart.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spring Ramblings

Spring is here and I think it may be safe to say it has taken hold. Although, I do live in New England and this year winter hasn't wanted to leave, so it may still have a surprise of two in store for us.

I live in a neighborhood that has sidewalks. True we hadn't seen them since last December, but as soon as the time change went into effect, I started walking to knitting club. (I didn't want to walk in the dark because around here, people get hit by cars and the perps never get caught.)

The first week I had to walk in the street because the snow had not receded enough for me to be able to find the sidewalks, but the following week I was able to find half of the sidewalk, and now there is only snow left under some trees and in pockets in people's yards.

I do have to say, when you are walking without a dog on a leash people look at you strangely. I'm afraid walking to do errands, or just for the joy of it, has gone out of style.



Random thoughts on Spring!

I have noticed a lot of porches on my travels, but I never see anyone sitting on them. They might have a rocker or a porch swing on them, but they seem to be there only for decoration.

Whatever happened to people sitting on their porches, entertaining their friends, talking to their neighbors, or just plain knitting. I have always wanted a nice porch with a rocker so that I could sit and knit and watch the children play and the people zooming down the road.

This is not the house, just one I like. Notice the porch is hidden behind the blooming bushes.


I did see an oddity in my rambles last week. A man was out in his front yard playing catch with his son. Most of the houses around here are cookie cutter houses, with unused porches and small patches of yard in which you never see anyone playing, especially not the children.

The ball playing was taking place in the yard of one of the oldest houses in town. It apparently had been the "big" house back in the day. It has Corinthian columns holding up the porch roof. A wrap-around porch, the kind with a circular area on the corner where you could place an entire suite of wicker furniture. It also has a sweeping front lawn. Dad and son were playing ball in the front yard.

It brought tears to my eyes, and reminded me of the things so many people are missing in their rush to gain.

Do you think they realize what they are losing and is it worth the gain?

Summer is right around the corner and will bring brilliant green.

2 comments:

  1. In this course you'll learn everything you need to know to crush the poker tables.
    idn poker play
    I will teach you how a tight-aggressive approach to the game that will get you tons of profits through a fundamental understanding of psychology, poker strategy and tactics.
    www.sbobet.com
    By depositing €20, you are already aware that you can lose that money in only a few minutes, but by doubling it down, you increase the odds of winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.
    http://www.euro2016.web.id

    ReplyDelete